[systemd-devel] Adding USB ID to hwdb/usb.ids
Thomas A
2021-05-13 09:54:02 UTC

I'm trying to add the info for Thrustmaster T150 Racing Wheel to the
hwdb. I have found that the USB values are stored
hwdb.d/20-usb-vendor-model.hwdb. However, it seems that this file is
never edited manually, but just pulled from linux-usb.org usb.ids.

www.linux-usb.org seems mostly broken and various Google results
indicate that there is no response to e-mails. I have, just now, tried
to submit a patch by following the guide for the PCI IDs, from which the
USB IDs site was copied. I could not register in any way, so I suspect
my e-mail will be dropped.

Is there any better way to get my ID into the USB ID list in hwdb?

Patch on systemd hwdb:
https://github.com/thomasa88/systemd/commit/7af622d9d2335f9fc0e94b3b8a5139ef959bef9c

BR
Thomas
Lennart Poettering
2021-06-01 13:04:47 UTC
I'm trying to add the info for Thrustmaster T150 Racing Wheel to the hwdb. I
have found that the USB values are stored hwdb.d/20-usb-vendor-model.hwdb.
However, it seems that this file is never edited manually, but just pulled
from linux-usb.org usb.ids.
www.linux-usb.org seems mostly broken and various Google results indicate
that there is no response to e-mails. I have, just now, tried to submit a
patch by following the guide for the PCI IDs, from which the USB IDs site
was copied. I could not register in any way, so I suspect my e-mail will be
dropped.
Is there any better way to get my ID into the USB ID list in hwdb?
https://github.com/thomasa88/systemd/commit/7af622d9d2335f9fc0e94b3b8a5139ef959bef9c
If this is indeed the case I guess we could start maintaining a
database for this kind of stuff in hwdb.d/ and ship it with
systemd. Maybe called 20-usb-vendor-model-extra.hwdb or so?

Kinda sucks though. Any reference where this is discussed? i.e. the
google results you mentioned? A quick google i did myself din't reveal
anything?

Anyway, please consider submitting the addition as a PR if it's indeed
unlikely linux-usb.org comes back as a maintainer for this.

Lennart

Lennart Poettering, Berlin
Greg KH
2021-06-01 14:16:26 UTC
Post by Lennart Poettering
Hi,
[...]
usb.ids is still maintained and supported on linux-usb.org, if you need
new device ids, add them here:
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb-ids.html

It gets a constant stream of updates submitted to it all the time, and
the latest version of the file can always be found at:
http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids
showing it was last updated on 2021-05-18.

linux-usb.org does not look broken to me, what needs to be fixed on it?

So what specifically is the problem here?

thanks,

greg k-h
Daniele Nicolodi
2021-06-01 18:28:23 UTC
Post by Greg KH
linux-usb.org does not look broken to me, what needs to be fixed on it?
I get a "503 Service Unavailable" error trying to access
http://www.linux-usb.org/

Cheers,
Dan
Greg KH
2021-06-01 18:44:29 UTC
Works for me! Make sure you are not trying to connect to 'https'.
Michael Biebl
2021-06-01 19:38:37 UTC
No https? Why?
Greg KH
2021-06-02 05:04:02 UTC
Because why would serving up text files about this topic requires https?
Mantas Mikulėnas
2021-06-02 05:37:47 UTC
Post by Greg KH
Am Di., 1. Juni 2021 um 20:44 Uhr schrieb Greg KH <
Post by Greg KH
Works for me! Make sure you are not trying to connect to 'https'.
No https? Why?
Because why would serving up text files about this topic requires https?
Because browsers are starting to default to "https:" if not specified
otherwise, and visitors now have to scratch heads and jump through hoops to
access those text files. If you don't do HTTPS, at least shut off the HTTPS
listener completely or make it redirect to the HTTP version, instead of
just leaving visitors stare at a 503 page that's pretty much
indistinguishable from "the CGI backend gave up five reboots ago".
Daniele Nicolodi
2021-06-02 06:07:13 UTC
Post by Greg KH
Am Di., 1. Juni 2021 um 20:44 Uhr schrieb Greg KH
Works for me!  Make sure you are not trying to connect to 'https'.
No https? Why?
Because why would serving up text files about this topic requires https?
Because browsers are starting to default to "https:" if not specified
otherwise, and visitors now have to scratch heads and jump through hoops
to access those text files. If you don't do HTTPS, at least shut off the
HTTPS listener completely or make it redirect to the HTTP version,
instead of just leaving visitors stare at a 503 page that's pretty much
indistinguishable from "the CGI backend gave up five reboots ago".
There is no response from https://www.linux-usb.org/

The 503 error was something transient I encountered when I wrote the
other message, now everything seems fine (from the response times
observed "by eye" yesterday and today, I think the issue was that the
server was somehow overloaded).

Cheers,
Dan
Reindl Harald
2021-06-02 13:48:41 UTC
Post by Greg KH
Post by Michael Biebl
Post by Greg KH
Works for me! Make sure you are not trying to connect to 'https'.
No https? Why?
Because why would serving up text files about this topic requires https?
sorry, but we have 2021

* non-https is a warning in most browsers
* certifictes are free and automated these days
* https is not only about encryption

the point of https is

a) you are connected to the host you think
b) no manipulation on the wire

the encryption is not really the point
Greg KH
2021-06-02 14:39:13 UTC
Post by Reindl Harald
Post by Greg KH
Post by Michael Biebl
Post by Greg KH
Works for me! Make sure you are not trying to connect to 'https'.
No https? Why?
Because why would serving up text files about this topic requires https?
sorry, but we have 2021
* non-https is a warning in most browsers
* certifictes are free and automated these days
* https is not only about encryption
the point of https is
a) you are connected to the host you think
b) no manipulation on the wire
the encryption is not really the point
Then don't connect to the site if you don't want the data there. Trying
to tell others what to do with their spare time in maintaining a
resource for all operating systems to use is a bit, well, you know...

greg "i am a horrible sysadmin" k-h
Reindl Harald
2021-06-02 21:11:37 UTC
Post by Greg KH
Post by Reindl Harald
Post by Greg KH
Post by Michael Biebl
Post by Greg KH
Works for me! Make sure you are not trying to connect to 'https'.
No https? Why?
Because why would serving up text files about this topic requires https?
sorry, but we have 2021
* non-https is a warning in most browsers
* certifictes are free and automated these days
* https is not only about encryption
the point of https is
a) you are connected to the host you think
b) no manipulation on the wire
the encryption is not really the point
Then don't connect to the site if you don't want the data there
and how is that an argument given that the world is since 2018/2019
practically https only?
Post by Greg KH
Trying
to tell others what to do with their spare time in maintaining a
resource for all operating systems to use is a bit, well, you know...
greg "i am a horrible sysadmin" k-h
i better don't comment that given that certbot and tons of other
solutions are there for years with no costs and 100% automation scaling
for 1, 10 or 1000 vhosts
Ulrich Windl
2021-06-04 05:48:47 UTC
Post by Greg KH
Post by Greg KH
Works for me! Make sure you are not trying to connect to 'https'.
No https? Why?
Because why would serving up text files about this topic requires https?
sorry, but we have 2021
* non‑https is a warning in most browsers
* certifictes are free and automated these days
* https is not only about encryption
the point of https is
a) you are connected to the host you think
b) no manipulation on the wire
the encryption is not really the point
Then don't connect to the site if you don't want the data there. Trying
to tell others what to do with their spare time in maintaining a
resource for all operating systems to use is a bit, well, you know...
I think any website that has a form to fill in should offer https.
In the past there were websites asking for user and password without offering
https.
I also think even a self-signed certificate is better tan no certificate at
all, but in the times of let'S encrypt setting up https shouldn't be a big
issue.

All my opinion...

Regards,
Ulrich
Ulrich Windl
2021-06-04 06:06:31 UTC
um
Post by Ulrich Windl
Post by Greg KH
Post by Greg KH
[...]
Sorry to respond to my own post, but accidentially I read this comment on some
RFC discussion:

"I think it is common understanding that communication across the
internet should be protect by security means. It also is common practice
to protect LAN based communication since experience taught that it is a
false sense of security to rely only on security gateways to protect
against adversaries."
Post by Ulrich Windl
Regards,
Ulrich
Umut Tezduyar Lindskog
2021-06-04 06:08:37 UTC
On Fri, Jun 4, 2021 at 7:49 AM Ulrich Windl <
Post by Michael Biebl
Post by Greg KH
Post by Greg KH
Post by Reindl Harald
[...]
If I am not misinterpreting, Mr. Biden's recent cyber security execute
order [1] will put a weight on how data is transferred, at least in the US,
at least for the agencies which will probably ripple itself to the ordinary
user eventually.

[1]
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presidential-actions/2021/05/12/executive-order-on-improving-the-nations-cybersecurity/
Multiple mentions of "*encryption for data at rest and in transit*".

Umut