tree-wide conversion from libdbus to libsystemd-bus
Kay Sievers
2013-10-22 23:22:39 UTC
Most of the original plan outlined a couple of months ago is still valid:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2013-March/009797.html

We now have all the major pieces to port to the new library available
in the systemd tree. Converting tools is half way mechanical
replacing, the other half rewriting the bus hookup.

Things get a lot shorter and more readable, and the bus-related code
is usually less than half the size. The core piece of services which
export things to the bus look like this now:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/locale/localed.c#n1040

To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.

- systemd-analyze
"thomasandersen> kay: ok. I could attempt to do a sd-bus patch
for it since I am doing other changes
there anyway?

- timedatectl

- systemd-machined

- machinectl
pending patch from Tom:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2013-October/013772.html

- systemd-logind

- loginctl

- localectl
Kay will do that next

- hostnamectl

- pam_systemd

- systemctl

- systemd

Thanks,
Kay
Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
2013-10-22 23:45:38 UTC
Post by Kay Sievers
[...]
I'll do pam_systemd — I want to understand how it works ;)
Post by Kay Sievers
- systemctl
- systemd
Zbyszek
Michael Biebl

universe are pointed away from Earth?
Kay Sievers
2013-10-23 00:12:09 UTC
Post by Michael Biebl
Just to be clear, this is step b/, i.e. systemd will still use dbus-daemon?
Yes. Only the link-dependency on the current D-Bus library will go,
but the runtime dependency on the daemon will stay as it is.
Post by Michael Biebl
Is there an ETA for when kdbus will land in the kernel, i.e. step c/?
No specific plan, rough idea is mid of next year; earliest.
The official answer though, as always is: when it's ready. :)

Some stuff has changed from the original mail, we might not touch/port
libdbus to kdbus, but only provide a socket-activated bridging process
with systemd.
This bridge will take care of the raw socket format of the current
libdbus. It will also allow to run java, c#, ... clients which never
used libdbus but did their own raw socket communication.

Gdbus though is still expected to get a native kdbus interface.

Kay
Peeters Simon
2013-10-23 13:35:45 UTC
Post by Kay Sievers
[...]
I'll take a shot at this (probably loginctl afterwards)
Post by Kay Sievers
- pam_systemd
- systemctl
- systemd
Simon
Kay Sievers
2013-10-30 02:48:17 UTC
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:22 AM, Kay Sievers <***@vrfy.org> wrote:

[update]
Post by Kay Sievers
To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.
- timedatectl

- systemd-logind

- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"

- localectl
Kay will do that next

- hostnamectl

- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: "I'll do pam_systemd"

- systemctl

- systemd
Marc-Antoine Perennou
I have some work in progress for hostnamectl
Peeters Simon
2013-10-30 05:37:57 UTC
sorry for te confusion in my previous mail, i meant:
"I'll take a shot at hostnamectl (probably loginctl afterwards)"

and my hostnamectl patches are actualy just finished (i will mail them
in a couple of minutes)

Simon
Post by Marc-Antoine Perennou
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Kay Sievers
2013-10-30 22:10:30 UTC
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 5:36 AM, Marc-Antoine Perennou
Post by Marc-Antoine Perennou
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Post by Kay Sievers
To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.
I have some work in progress for hostnamectl
Simon Peeters sent this to the list, but you probably noticed that already.

Thanks,
Kay
Marc-Antoine Perennou
2013-10-31 02:21:54 UTC
Post by Kay Sievers
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 5:36 AM, Marc-Antoine Perennou
Post by Marc-Antoine Perennou
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Post by Kay Sievers
To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.
I have some work in progress for hostnamectl
Simon Peeters sent this to the list, but you probably noticed that already.
Thanks,
Kay
Yep, saw that.

I'll do systemctl if noone else wants to.
Thomas H.P. Andersen
2013-10-30 07:01:06 UTC
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Post by Kay Sievers
To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.
- timedatectl
I will do timedatectl
Kay Sievers
2013-10-30 22:08:03 UTC
On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM, Kay Sievers <***@vrfy.org> wrote:

[update]
Post by Kay Sievers
To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.
- systemd-logind

- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"

- hostnamectl
Peeters Simon's (patch on the list, needs rebase)

- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: "I'll do pam_systemd"

- systemctl

- systemd
Lennart Poettering
2013-11-01 15:44:35 UTC
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Post by Kay Sievers
To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.
- systemd-logind
I am knee-deep in converting logind now.
Post by Kay Sievers
- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"
- hostnamectl
Peeters Simon's (patch on the list, needs rebase)
- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: "I'll do pam_systemd"
- systemctl
- systemd
And then I am going to work on systemd itself.

systemctl is still up for grabs!

Kay Sievers
2013-11-01 15:50:40 UTC
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Lennart Poettering
<***@poettering.net> wrote:

[update]

- systemd-logind
Lennart: I am knee-deep in converting logind now.

- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"

- hostnamectl
Peeters Simon's (patch on the list, needs rebase)

- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: "I'll do pam_systemd"

- systemctl
Marc-Antoine Perennou: I'll do systemctl if noone else wants to.

- systemd
Lennart: And then I am going to work on systemd itself.
Kay Sievers
2013-11-05 02:22:15 UTC
On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Kay Sievers <***@vrfy.org> wrote:

[update]

Simon, Zbigniew, Marc-Antoine you still work/plan to work on the stuff
listed below? Please let us know.

Thanks,
Kay

- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"

- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: I'll do pam_systemd

- systemctl
Marc-Antoine Perennou: I've goy it nearly half finished by now,
should be done by next week end.

- systemd
Lennart: I am going to work on systemd itself.

- test-inhibit.c
Kay Sievers
2013-11-07 02:21:54 UTC
On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 3:22 AM, Kay Sievers <***@vrfy.org> wrote:

[update]

Simon, are you still work/plan to work on loginctl? Please let us know.

Thomas H.P. Andersen
2013-11-09 11:56:56 UTC
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Simon, Zbigniew, Marc-Antoine you still work/plan to work on the stuff
listed below? Please let us know.
Thanks,
Kay
- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"
- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: I'll do pam_systemd
- systemctl
Marc-Antoine Perennou: I've goy it nearly half finished by now,
should be done by next week end.
- systemd
Lennart: I am going to work on systemd itself.
Is the port of systemd started? I have I patch that highlights in the
plot how much of systemd's startup time is spent on setting up
security modules. It touches some parts in src/core. Should I wait
with the commit to avoid conflicting with the big sd-port commit?
Thomas H.P. Andersen
2013-11-10 21:41:48 UTC
On Sun, Nov 10, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Lennart Poettering
Post by Thomas H.P. Andersen
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Simon, Zbigniew, Marc-Antoine you still work/plan to work on the stuff
listed below? Please let us know.
Thanks,
Kay
- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"
- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: I'll do pam_systemd
- systemctl
Marc-Antoine Perennou: I've goy it nearly half finished by now,
should be done by next week end.
- systemd
Lennart: I am going to work on systemd itself.
Is the port of systemd started? I have I patch that highlights in the
plot how much of systemd's startup time is spent on setting up
security modules. It touches some parts in src/core. Should I wait
with the commit to avoid conflicting with the big sd-port commit?
I plan to start working on porting PID 1 over tomorrow or so. But of
course this will primarily focus only on the dbus bits, the rest should
stay relatively stable anyway.
Just because I have a bigger commit in the works other folks shouldn't
stop commiting things, really...
The start/finish timestamps for the security setup are added to the
dbus interface so I knew that it would conflict. Anyway, I will commit
it tonight, thanks.

For the curious here is a few plots after with the extra info from
different computers/vm:
VM: https://people.gnome.org/~thomashpa/plots/vm.svg
SSD: https://people.gnome.org/~thomashpa/plots/ssd.svg
HDD: https://people.gnome.org/~thomashpa/plots/hdd.svg

The final patch uses the description "Setting up security module"
instead of just "Security".

Daniel Mack
2013-11-03 11:45:03 UTC
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Post by Kay Sievers
To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.
- timedatectl
- systemd-logind
- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"
- localectl
Kay will do that next
- hostnamectl
- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: "I'll do pam_systemd"
- systemctl
I'll have a look at systemctl. Seems like a good way to get familiar
with the new API. Might take me some days to finish it though.

Daniel
Marc-Antoine Perennou
2013-11-03 14:12:54 UTC
Post by Daniel Mack
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Post by Kay Sievers
To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.
- timedatectl
- systemd-logind
- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"
- localectl
Kay will do that next
- hostnamectl
- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: "I'll do pam_systemd"
- systemctl
I'll have a look at systemctl. Seems like a good way to get familiar
with the new API. Might take me some days to finish it though.
Daniel
Yep, I've goy it nearly half finished by now, should be done by next week
end.

Marc-Antoine
Daniel Mack
2013-11-03 16:40:17 UTC
Post by Daniel Mack
Post by Kay Sievers
[update]
Post by Kay Sievers
To avoid any duplication of work, here are the tools which still need
conversion. Please reply to this mail, in case you decide to work on
anything in that area.
- timedatectl
- systemd-logind
- loginctl
Peeters Simon: "I'll take ... (probably loginctl afterwards)"
- localectl
Kay will do that next
- hostnamectl
- pam_systemd
Zbigniew: "I'll do pam_systemd"
- systemctl
I'll have a look at systemctl. Seems like a good way to get familiar
with the new API. Might take me some days to finish it though.
Daniel
Yep, I've goy it nearly half finished by now, should be done by next
week end.
Ah, sorry. Missed your post on that. Alright, I'll trash my bits then
and let you finished your work :)

Daniel