Increasing the default RLIMIT_NOFILE
Andrew Eikum
2018-10-29 13:09:35 UTC
Hi all,

This is about the increase in the default RLIMIT_NOFILE to 256k, see
commit 8aeb1d317 and this pull request
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/10244

I think this is a great change. However, we have seen real
applications using over 300k handles when using the eventfd-backed
synchronization primitives implementation in Wine. Debian-derived
distros have set this limit to 1024*1024 by default for years. Raising
the limit to this number would help these applications, and would
unify around a number that is already in common use.

Thanks,
Andrew
Lennart Poettering
2018-11-15 08:56:18 UTC
Post by Andrew Eikum
Hi all,
This is about the increase in the default RLIMIT_NOFILE to 256k, see
commit 8aeb1d317 and this pull request
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/10244
I think this is a great change. However, we have seen real
applications using over 300k handles when using the eventfd-backed
synchronization primitives implementation in Wine. Debian-derived
distros have set this limit to 1024*1024 by default for years. Raising
the limit to this number would help these applications, and would
unify around a number that is already in common use.
So, I prepped this PR now:

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/10780

It's not quite at the 1M yet you requested. I am not sure we should go
to the max right away, hence 512K, as something that is higher than
the 300K you saw, but still leaves some room upwards.

I hope this makes sense,

Andrew Eikum
2018-11-15 13:17:12 UTC
Post by Andrew Eikum
This is about the increase in the default RLIMIT_NOFILE to 256k, see
commit 8aeb1d317 and this pull request
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/10244
I think this is a great change. However, we have seen real
applications using over 300k handles when using the eventfd-backed
synchronization primitives implementation in Wine. Debian-derived
distros have set this limit to 1024*1024 by default for years. Raising
the limit to this number would help these applications, and would
unify around a number that is already in common use.
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/10780
It's not quite at the 1M yet you requested. I am not sure we should go
to the max right away, hence 512K, as something that is higher than
the 300K you saw, but still leaves some room upwards.
Thanks!
Post by Lennart Poettering
I hope this makes sense,
512K is probably enough for our purposes, though it's still fairly
tight given we've seen over 300K in practice. I don't understand why
unifying with the value Debian has used for a long time isn't the
preferred option. But anyway, this is hardly in my area of
understanding. It's obviously your call to make.

Thanks for your time,
Andrew