Strange problem: Failed to get properties: Failed to activate service
Cecil Westerhof
2018-10-17 18:06:27 UTC
Since this morning I have a strange problem, when I execute:
systemctl status cups

I get:
Failed to get properties: Failed to activate service
'org.freedesktop.systemd1': timed out

This is with every service, not just cups.

I tried 'everything', even rebooting the system.
What could be the problem.
This is with:
systemd 239
+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP
+LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS
+KMOD -IDN2 +IDN -PCRE2 default-hierarchy=hybrid

On:
Distributor ID: Debian
Release: 9.5
Codename: stretch
Cecil Westerhof
Lennart Poettering
2018-10-17 18:31:43 UTC
Post by Cecil Westerhof
systemctl status cups
Failed to get properties: Failed to activate service
'org.freedesktop.systemd1': timed out
This is with every service, not just cups.
This suggests systemd for some reason is not on the bus. That's almost
certainly a bug. No idea how that can happen, there might be something
in the logs explaining why it disconnected from the bus.

Usually "systemctl daemon-reexec" should make systemd reconnect to the bus.

Cecil Westerhof
2018-10-18 13:14:55 UTC
Post by Cecil Westerhof
systemctl status cups
Failed to get properties: Failed to activate service
'org.freedesktop.systemd1': timed out
This is with every service, not just cups.
I tried 'everything', even rebooting the system.
What could be the problem.
systemd 239
+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA +APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP
+LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS
+KMOD -IDN2 +IDN -PCRE2 default-hierarchy=hybrid
Distributor ID: Debian
Release: 9.5
Codename: stretch
I found out that in reality no reboot had taken place. For one reason or
another that did not work. Doing:
systemctl reboot
systemctl poweroff
init 0
halt

All did not work. Those gave messages like:
Transport endpoint is not connected

I did a hard reset and that seems to have solved my problem.

My problems started after an update of VirtualBox (and one other package).
Why I do not know.
Cecil Westerhof
Lennart Poettering
2018-10-18 15:16:38 UTC
Post by Cecil Westerhof
I found out that in reality no reboot had taken place. For one reason or
systemctl reboot
systemctl poweroff
init 0
halt
Transport endpoint is not connected
I did a hard reset and that seems to have solved my problem.
My problems started after an update of VirtualBox (and one other package).
Why I do not know.
The above suggests PID 1 is dead for some rason. What does "pstack 1"
as root print (with gdb installed)?

Jan Synacek
2018-10-22 08:24:42 UTC
Post by Cecil Westerhof
systemctl reboot
systemctl poweroff
init 0
halt
Transport endpoint is not connected
This is very familiar to me. Try this:

1) Boot the computer.
2) Run "systemctl daemon-reexec" as root.
3) Run "dmesg" as root.
4) Look for a pid 1 segfault or a message that says "Freezing execution".

If you see a SIGSEGV, let me know. Note that this problem is *not*
present in the upstream code base.

Cheers,
--
Jan Synacek