Use of SystemKeepFree=
Jan Synacek
2018-10-11 10:34:09 UTC
Hello all,

looking at the current code, SystemKeepFree= is not accounted for when
doing vacuuming, only SystemMaxUse= is used. There was an ancient
RHEL-7 bug for systemd-219 with the exact same problem. Now I'm not
sure if that's actually a problem or not, but the documentation
suggests that SystemKeepFree= should be honored.

Is it a bug?

When is SystemKeepFree= actually used?

Why have SystemKeepFree= at all if it's the "other way around" of
SystemMaxUse= ?

Cheers,
--
Jan Synacek
Software Engineer, Red Hat
Lennart Poettering
2018-10-11 12:00:59 UTC
Post by Jan Synacek
Hello all,
looking at the current code, SystemKeepFree= is not accounted for when
doing vacuuming, only SystemMaxUse= is used. There was an ancient
RHEL-7 bug for systemd-219 with the exact same problem. Now I'm not
sure if that's actually a problem or not, but the documentation
suggests that SystemKeepFree= should be honored.
Is it a bug?
When is SystemKeepFree= actually used?
Why have SystemKeepFree= at all if it's the "other way around" of
SystemMaxUse= ?
The vacuum logic should respect SystemKeepFree= correctly afaics.

cache_space_refresh() calculates a single "limit" value from the
available disk space and disk usage, his is then used in do_vacuum()
and passed to journal_directory_vacuum(). Everything appears in order
to me?

This code hasn't been touched in quite some time, hence I'd assume
this always was the way it was?