GPL and unit/conf files
Paul Jakma
2018-05-11 14:25:38 UTC
If I do it via an override file, is that a derived work of the GPL?
no it is not - it's just a config file using as subset of options
if that would be the case you couldn't shop any systemd-unit with your
application
My wider point here is that maybe the GPL isn't the right/most
convenient licence header to put on settings files. ;)
maybe, but no issue since you don't need to touch them
So, does that mean that if it's done by whole-sale replacement, shipping
the full file with modifications, that such a file can not be shipped
with a GPL-incompatible application?

I'm not trying to re-engineer anything (imagine I do not have that
power). I'm trying to determine whether something is permitted or not.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma | ***@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A
Fortune:
-- J. McCabe
Paul Jakma
2018-05-11 15:23:33 UTC
An LGPL header actually, *library*.
Ah yes. Not quite sure what that will mean in the context of a
config/settings file. ;)
Is each setting in those files copyrighted? Or is there some
threshold, where if I re-use enough of those settings in my file,
that the GPL applies? Are certain combinations of settings in
logind.conf or such unit files copyrighted?
That's debatable. I'd say that even the whole file is not
copyrightable, but don't quote me on that.
My tendency, for things I feel are not / should be copyrightable that I
write, is just to put the FSF all-perms header on them. Simply to ensure
it's clear others can do anything with it, and there's no possibility
for others to have to head-scratch over it.
It's easier for us to reuse the same header and license everywhere.
Since it's just LGPL, it does not really restrict use.
Indeed.

Just to note that things like this can end up triggering licence audit
tools, and further processes. It may perhaps be that the systemd
developers did not intend that kind of things. If so, perhaps the
suggestion above might be an idea.

Thanks for systemd,
--
Paul Jakma | ***@jakma.org | @pjakma | Key ID: 0xD86BF79464A2FF6A