networkd: static fallback ip for DHCP
Benjamin Wozniak
2018-11-22 07:21:41 UTC

we are developing an embedded device that can only be accessed via network.
If DHCP is used for network configuration we need a plan B if for some reason
no lease can be obtained. Our idea is to have a static IP as fallback.

In systemd I didn't find any hooks to react to a lease fail. The files in
/var/run/systemd/netif apparently should not be used ("# This is private data.
Do not parse.").

Is the idea of a fallback IP address just not a good one, is such functionality
just not implemented in networkd or am I missing something here?

Thanks in advance,
Benjamin
Jérémy Rosen
2018-11-22 08:49:46 UTC
For embedded systems, I would recommand connman over networkd exactly
for that sort of reasons.

networkd has been designed mainly for the datacenter use-cases with lots
of interfaces appearing and disapearing dynamically (dynamic containers)

for the embedded case where we have only a few network interfaces but
the network itself changes a lot, connman might be a better choice.
Post by Benjamin Wozniak
Hi,
we are developing an embedded device that can only be accessed via network.
If DHCP is used for network configuration we need a plan B if for some reason
no lease can be obtained. Our idea is to have a static IP as fallback.
In systemd I didn't find any hooks to react to a lease fail. The files in
/var/run/systemd/netif apparently should not be used ("# This is private data.
Do not parse.").
Is the idea of a fallback IP address just not a good one, is such functionality
just not implemented in networkd or am I missing something here?
Thanks in advance,
Benjamin

20 rue des Jardins
92600 AsniÚres-sur-Seine

*Jérémy ROSEN*
Architecte technique
Responsable de l'expertise Smile-ECS

email ***@smile.fr <mailto:***@smile.fr>
phone +33141402967
url http://www.smile.eu

Twitter <https://twitter.com/GroupeSmile> Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/smileopensource> LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/smile> Github
<https://github.com/Smile-SA>

Découvrez l’univers Smile, rendez-vous sur smile.eu
<http://smile.eu/?utm_source=signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=signature>

eco Pour la planÚte, n'imprimez ce mail que si c'est nécessaire