[systemd-devel] Activate netdev only on demand (e.g. for wireguard connection)
Amish
2021-04-02 03:25:41 UTC
Hello
So I have a wireguard setup which I use to connect to my server.
But I do not connect to it daily, just once a in a while.
I have setup wg0.netdev file and wg0.network file and all is working
fine.
But how do I set it up such that interface wg0 does not connect
#networkctl up wg0
Effectively I want wireguard to connect/disconnect on demand
Amish, I think you described your problem perfectly fine. It sounds like
[Network]
ActivationPolicy=manual
to your wg0.network file.
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.network.html#ActivationPolicy=
Kind regards,
Alvin
So today, I upgraded to systemd 248 and this new feature
(ActivationPolicy=) works just as I wanted.

Now I can trigger wireguard connection on demand instead of running it 24x7.

Thank you and regards,

Amish.