Question about hardware watchdog
Liu, Shuang (ADITG/ESM)
2018-11-05 16:21:47 UTC

We are facing problem with hardware watchdog.

To my understanding, the watchdog is pinged inside the manager_loop(),
which means, during e.g. systemctl daemon-reload, watchdog cannot be pinged.

Here, perhaps other timeouts are involved in, e.g. generator timeout, dbus timeout, systemctl timeout, ...
which could be larger than the RuntimeWatchdogSec.

Thus a problem with systemctl daemon-reload could trigger the watchdog timeout.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks.

Shuang Liu
Lennart Poettering
2018-11-05 18:29:05 UTC
Post by Liu, Shuang (ADITG/ESM)
Hi,
We are facing problem with hardware watchdog.
To my understanding, the watchdog is pinged inside the manager_loop(),
which means, during e.g. systemctl daemon-reload, watchdog cannot be pinged.
Here, perhaps other timeouts are involved in, e.g. generator timeout, dbus timeout, systemctl timeout, ...
which could be larger than the RuntimeWatchdogSec.
Thus a problem with systemctl daemon-reload could trigger the watchdog timeout.
Yes, and that's intended. If an event is dispatched (such as a reload
request) and we don't return to normal event loop processing within
the watchdog timeout, then the watchdog will react and reboot.