Router Advertisement in systemd
Daniel Wang
2018-11-05 19:09:55 UTC
Hi all,

Recently I realized that systemd-networkd implements its own Router
Advertisement and NDISC. While I am perfectly fine with using it, I
wonder what motivated it given that the Linux kernel already
implemented both. Is it features? Flexibility? Stability?

Also, what else in the ipv6 stack is duplicated in systemd-networkd?
--
Best,
Daniel
Lennart Poettering
2018-11-05 19:36:06 UTC
Post by Daniel Wang
Hi all,
Recently I realized that systemd-networkd implements its own Router
Advertisement and NDISC. While I am perfectly fine with using it, I
wonder what motivated it given that the Linux kernel already
implemented both. Is it features? Flexibility? Stability?
for starters, if you want the DNS info embedded in it (and other stuff
like that) then the in-kernel one won#t give it to you.
Post by Daniel Wang
Also, what else in the ipv6 stack is duplicated in systemd-networkd?
duplicated from what? I mean, the whole thing is a duplicate of
NetworkManager if you so will, or of dhclient, and so on. Nothing
networkd implements hasn't been implemented before. it just integrates
stuff better, that's all.

Daniel Wang