systemd-logind failing due to dbus error on org.freedesktop.systemd1
Gustavo Sousa
2018-01-31 14:36:40 UTC
Hello, everyone!

I'm having a problem regarding systemd-logind service. After a system
upgrade, I realized logging into the system took a long time, then I looked
at the system logs and noticed that systemd-logind service had failed.

I've posted the output of 'journalctl -xe' regarding the error here:
https://pastebin.com/TNmg2z9s

I'm using systemd version 236.81-1. My distro is Arch Linux. Output of
'uname -a':

Linux <hostname omitted> 4.14.15-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 23 21:49:25
UTC 2018 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Gustavo Sousa
Michal Koutný
2018-01-31 14:44:10 UTC
Hello Gustavo.
After a system upgrade,
Was dbus-daemon restarted as part of the upgrade?
I've posted the output of 'journalctl -xe' regarding the error
here: https://pastebin.com/TNmg2z9s <https://pastebin.com/TNmg2z9s>
Was it fixed when systemd-logind was (auto) restarted?

Michal
Gustavo Sousa
2018-01-31 14:55:12 UTC
Hi, Michal.
Post by Michal Koutný
Hello Gustavo.
After a system upgrade,
Was dbus-daemon restarted as part of the upgrade?
No, but I did reboot the system.
Post by Michal Koutný
I've posted the output of 'journalctl -xe' regarding the error
here: https://pastebin.com/TNmg2z9s <https://pastebin.com/TNmg2z9s>
Was it fixed when systemd-logind was (auto) restarted?
Unfortunately, no. I didn't actually wait for the auto restart, I
tried myself with 'systemctl restart systemd-logind'.

Gustavo Sousa
Michal Koutný
2018-01-31 17:52:18 UTC
Post by Gustavo Sousa
Unfortunately, no. I didn't actually wait for the auto restart, I
tried myself with 'systemctl restart systemd-logind'.
It seems like systemd-logind was thus properly connected to dbus and
there may be other issue.

Could you please post logs preceding the snippet you sent previously?
(It seems something must went wrong at/before 8:38:51.) Also since it
happened after reboot and systemd-logind restart didn't help, does it
mean it's reproducible or still present?

Can you see 'org.freedesktop.systemd1' name owned in the `busctl` output?

Does `kill -SIGUSR1 1` help you?

Thanks,
Michal
Gustavo Sousa
2018-01-31 20:28:14 UTC
Post by Michal Koutný
Post by Gustavo Sousa
Unfortunately, no. I didn't actually wait for the auto restart, I
tried myself with 'systemctl restart systemd-logind'.
It seems like systemd-logind was thus properly connected to dbus and
there may be other issue.
Could you please post logs preceding the snippet you sent previously?
(It seems something must went wrong at/before 8:38:51.)
I looked at the logs preceding that, but they logged the same error
(probably due to retries and me logging in?).
Then I decided to look at the logs from the beginning and realized a
different systemd error message (the snippet can be checked at
https://pastebin.com/kcAVcUQz):

Jan 30 14:18:09 systemd[1]: Failed to subscribe to NameOwnerChanged
signal for 'org.freedesktop.login1': Connection timed out

I also noticed that
Post by Michal Koutný
Also since it
happened after reboot and systemd-logind restart didn't help, does it
mean it's reproducible or still present?
Yes, it is still present. About it being reproducible, it is in my
environment, but I'm not sure how easily that could be reproduced in a
different environment.
Post by Michal Koutný
Can you see 'org.freedesktop.systemd1' name owned in the `busctl` output?
I'm not really familiar with dbus, but if by "owned" you mean that it
does have a process associated to it, then I would say no. Here is a
link for the output of `busctl` https://pastebin.com/VqT38tya
Post by Michal Koutný
Does `kill -SIGUSR1 1` help you?
Nope. The issue persists (and the output of `busctl` keeps the same).

Regards,
Gustavo Sousa
Colin Guthrie
2018-02-01 12:18:07 UTC
If it's ybbind that's causing issues, then chances are it's related to
the NSS setup, i.e. /etc/nsswitch.conf and other related config specific
to Yellow Pages stuff (I forget what they are as it's been > 10years
since I used it!)

It could be the NSS system is asking for user/group info via YP and this
is timing out or hanging due to lack of network etc. because the units
are misconfigured (the same issues exist with NSS-LDAP but this is
likely setup better as it's more commonplace these days).

Col
Hello, Michal.
After some trial an error I was able to find the culprit: the ypbind daemon.
- If I have it enabled, then it seems to me that, for some reason,
systemd can not take ownership of the dbus names (/me not sure if that
is the correct terminology).
- If I leave it disabled, then the problem disapears. Now I need to
find out why that is happening. The service file I got from my
distro's package is pasted at https://pastebin.com/vVEXLcb9.
With that, would I be right to say that this isn't a problem with
systemd itself?
Thank you!
Best regards,
Gustavo Sousa
On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 6:28 PM, Gustavo Sousa
Post by Gustavo Sousa
Post by Michal Koutný
Does `kill -SIGUSR1 1` help you?
Nope. The issue persists (and the output of `busctl` keeps the same).
Regards,
Gustavo Sousa
Colin Guthrie
colin(at)mageia.org
http://colin.guthr.ie/

Day Job:
Open Source:
Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/
Michal Koutný
2018-02-02 15:03:54 UTC
Post by Colin Guthrie
If it's ybbind that's causing issues, then chances are it's related to
the NSS setup, i.e. /etc/nsswitch.conf and other related config specific
to Yellow Pages stuff (I forget what they are as it's been > 10years
since I used it!)
+1, I don't think the cause in systemd/logind itself.

Alternatively, it could be dbus being affected by this NSS setup. You
may monitor dbus communication or dbus strace to figure out why
systemd's calls time out.

Michal