recovery boot hangs at “systemd[1]: Listening on Journal Socket”
Joachim Wuttke
2017-12-14 09:03:31 UTC
On recovery boot, systemd is hanging after printing the line:
[ <time>] systemd[1]: Listening on Journal Socket

What is systemd supposed to be doing?

What other software is involved?
(I may have caused the problem by inadvertedly uninstalling some packages)

How to debug / to recover?

Some more details are at https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/410812

Thanks in advance for any clue

- Joachim
Lennart Poettering
2017-12-14 09:13:15 UTC
Post by Joachim Wuttke
[ <time>] systemd[1]: Listening on Journal Socket
What is systemd supposed to be doing?
What other software is involved?
(I may have caused the problem by inadvertedly uninstalling some packages)
How to debug / to recover?
Boot with systemd.log_level=debug to get more debug output on boot,
which might help you figure out what's going on.

Boot with systemd.debug-shell=1 and you'll have a debugging shell on
Alt-F9. Use "systemctl list-jobs" from it to figure out what is being
waited on.

https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/Debugging