Turn off journald entirely
Bao Nguyen
2018-11-28 05:13:15 UTC
Hello everyone,

I found in this thread that "There's currently no way to turn off
journald entirely, but it's on the
TODO list"

https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-March/004773.html

Would you please let me know how this TODO is going? Is it possible to
turn off journald entirely nowadays?

Thanks,
Brs,
Naruto
Lennart Poettering
2018-11-28 08:03:26 UTC
Post by Bao Nguyen
Hello everyone,
I found in this thread that "There's currently no way to turn off
journald entirely, but it's on the
TODO list"
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-March/004773.html
Would you please let me know how this TODO is going? Is it possible to
turn off journald entirely nowadays?
Note that the mail is slightly misleading at first. It first suggests
that this was about turning off journald altogether, but that's not
what is meant, as the you might see further down: the plan was to make
optional that journald writes anything to the file system, and not to
turn off journald itself.

Turning off journald's ability to write to the file system has been
implemented a long time ago. See Storage=none in journald.conf for
more information.

Turning off journald itself is not planned and not going to
happen. It's needed as concentrator for stdout/stderr and
suchlike.