Newer videos
Cecil Westerhof
2018-01-21 14:21:28 UTC
I wanted to dive deeper into systemd. So I sought videos on YouTube. The
most current I found was:

But that one is 2œ years old. Is there something more recent? It was
certainly interesting, but it is not completely up-to-date. For example
/usr/lib/systemd/system
​is now:
/lib/systemd/system
​
​And there are probably a lot of new functionalities.​
Cecil Westerhof
Mantas Mikulėnas
2018-01-22 07:19:53 UTC
http://youtu.be/S9YmaNuvw5U
But that one is 2œ years old. Is there something more recent? It was
certainly interesting, but it is not completely up-to-date. For example
Post by Cecil Westerhof
/usr/lib/systemd/system
/lib/systemd/system
It is not. That's something your distro has changed.
guenther kuenzel
2018-01-22 07:31:00 UTC
if this is true, then the distribution is actually forced to move it to be compliant with FHS3. which is also a good thing, because /usr might not be available during boot time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

/lib Libraries essential for the binaries in /bin and /sbin.

/usr/lib Libraries for the binaries in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.

which systemd
/bin/systemd

greetings
Post by Mantas Mikulėnas
    http://youtu.be/S9YmaNuvw5U
But that one is 2½ years old. Is there something more recent? It was certainly interesting, but it is not completely up-to-date. For example
2018-01-22 08:30:52 UTC
On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 9:31 AM, guenther kuenzel <
Post by guenther kuenzel
if this is true, then the distribution is actually forced to move it to be
compliant with FHS3. which is also a good thing, because /usr might not be
available during boot time.
/usr is always available during boot time, because we require the initramfs
to pre-mount it. Various distros have the same requirement even for SysV
boot, e.g. Gentoo [1].

[1]:
https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2013-09-27-initramfs-required.html
Post by guenther kuenzel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
/lib Libraries essential for the binaries in /bin and /sbin.
/usr/lib Libraries for the binaries in /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.
which systemd
/bin/systemd
$ ls -l /bin
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jan 5 21:17 /bin -> usr/bin/
Michal Koutný
2018-01-22 08:29:07 UTC
I wanted to dive deeper into systemd. So I sought videos on YouTube. [...]
But that one is 2œ years old. Is there something more recent?
https://media.ccc.de/c/asg2017

Cheers,
Michal
Cecil Westerhof
2018-01-22 18:31:41 UTC
Post by Michal Koutný
Post by Cecil Westerhof
I wanted to dive deeper into systemd. So I sought videos on YouTube.
[...]
Post by Cecil Westerhof
But that one is 2œ years old. Is there something more recent?
https://media.ccc.de/c/asg2017
​Thanks, that is quite a lot. :-D
Any tips which to start with?
​
Cecil Westerhof
Lennart Poettering
2018-01-23 15:14:40 UTC
But that one is 2½ years old. Is there something more recent? It was
certainly interesting, but it is not completely up-to-date. For example
/usr/lib/systemd/system
/lib/systemd/system
Hmmm, I not aware of any major distro that changed the prefix here
recently. Fedora/RedHat based ones generally use
/usr/lib/systemd/system, while Debian/Ubuntu ones use
/lib/systemd/system. The difference is because the former have
implemented the "usr-merge", while the latter haven't seen the light
yet...

https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/

Cecil Westerhof
2018-01-23 15:25:42 UTC
Post by Cecil Westerhof
But that one is 2œ years old. Is there something more recent? It was
certainly interesting, but it is not completely up-to-date. For example
/usr/lib/systemd/system
/lib/systemd/system
Hmmm, I not aware of any major distro that changed the prefix here
recently. Fedora/RedHat based ones generally use
/usr/lib/systemd/system, while Debian/Ubuntu ones use
/lib/systemd/system. The difference is because the former have
implemented the "usr-merge", while the latter haven't seen the light
yet...
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
​And I am using Debian 9. I am now aware of the 'problem', so I will
mention this if I will talk about the maintainer part.

And I will read the article. ;-)
--
Cecil Westerhof