Better docs: Word "Type" has two meanings
Thomas Güttler
2018-01-04 10:54:05 UTC
Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
2018-01-06 08:38:06 UTC
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.service.html#Type=
Type: Configures the process start-up type for this service unit. ....
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemctl.html#-t
-t, --type= The argument should be a comma-separated list of unit types
such as service and socket.
It seems that the distinction is made clear: "process start-up type"
vs. "unit type". Do you have a specific suggestion how this could be
improved?

Zbyszek
Thomas Güttler Lists
2018-01-06 10:45:19 UTC
Post by Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.service.html#Type=
Type: Configures the process start-up type for this service unit. ....
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemctl.html#-t
-t, --type= The argument should be a comma-separated list of unit types
such as service and socket.
It seems that the distinction is made clear: "process start-up type"
vs. "unit type". Do you have a specific suggestion how this could be
improved?
Hi Zbyszek, thank you for your reply.

I don't know how many "types" exist in systemd world. Up to now I know two:
unit type and start-up type ...

I try to recall where I got confused.

I looked at the docs of "systemctl --help" there I read "-t
--type=TYPE      List units of a particular type"

Some days ago I wrote my first systemd service file and I used
"Type=simple".

I tried this:

   ***@pc:~# systemctl --type=simple
   Unknown unit type or load state 'simple'.

Now I see some specific ways to make this more easy for new comers:

The error message "Unknown unit type or load state 'simple'." should
list all available unit types.

Maybe like "Unknown unit type or load state 'simple'. Use 'socket' or
'service'."

----

"systemctl --help" could list the available types:

"-t --type=TYPE      List units of a particular type (socket or service)"

----

BTW: Why do unit type and load state get combined into one thing here?

----

The man page of systemclt:
-t, --type= The argument should be a comma-separated list of unit types
   such as service and socket.

If I read this, I am unsure which unit types exist. The wording "such
as" suggest that
 "service" and "socket" are just two of many available unit types. It
would be nice
if the reader see all types and understand that this list is complete.

Regards,
  Thomas
--
Thomas Guettler http://www.thomas-guettler.de/
I am looking for feedback: https://github.com/guettli/programming-guidelines
Lennart Poettering
2018-01-23 19:27:17 UTC
Post by Thomas Güttler Lists
Post by Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.service.html#Type=
Type: Configures the process start-up type for this service unit. ....
https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemctl.html#-t
-t, --type= The argument should be a comma-separated list of unit types
such as service and socket.
It seems that the distinction is made clear: "process start-up type"
vs. "unit type". Do you have a specific suggestion how this could be
improved?
Hi Zbyszek, thank you for your reply.
unit type and start-up type ...
I try to recall where I got confused.
I looked at the docs of "systemctl --help" there I read "-t --type=TYPE
List units of a particular type"
[...]
Hmm, if oyu have concrete proposals, please file them as RFE issues on
github, so that we keep track of them. Or even better, file a PR or
two that implements them!