Group of temporary but related units?
Benno Fünfstück
2017-05-28 17:13:40 UTC
Hey list,

what would be a good way to manage temporary development environments with
systemd? For example, if I quickly want to spawn up an environment where my
service + perhaps some db or a queue or some other services are running. It
would be nice to reuse systemd's service management capabiltiies for this.
Or should I really write two sets of unit files for my services, one for
spinning up a testing / development environment using some other
supervision suite + another one for deployment with systemd?

Perhaps there is a more lightweight alternative of systemd-nspawn, that
doesn't require root and doesn't replace the file system?

Kind regards,
Benno
Lennart Poettering
2017-05-29 12:38:51 UTC
Post by Benno Fünfstück
Hey list,
what would be a good way to manage temporary development environments with
systemd? For example, if I quickly want to spawn up an environment where my
service + perhaps some db or a queue or some other services are running. It
would be nice to reuse systemd's service management capabiltiies for this.
Or should I really write two sets of unit files for my services, one for
spinning up a testing / development environment using some other
supervision suite + another one for deployment with systemd?
That sounds like an option.

You can also use "systemd-run" to transiently run a program as a
service without having to create a unit file for it. It permits you to
put together a service ad-hoc on the command line without modifying
the system.