Why "systemctl -H <host>" instead of "ssh <host> -- systemctl"
Francis Moreau
2018-01-12 09:16:35 UTC
Hello,

I'm wondering why systemctl has the -H option whereas one can achieve
the same by calling "ssh <host> -- systemctl ...".

Thanks.
Francis
Lennart Poettering
2018-01-12 13:24:22 UTC
Post by Francis Moreau
Hello,
I'm wondering why systemctl has the -H option whereas one can achieve
the same by calling "ssh <host> -- systemctl ...".
Not too much. However it has some benefits, for example it will
auto-page as usual and the pager is run locally which the ssh line
above wouldn't do of course...

Also, "-H" allows you to do stuff such as "-H foobar:waldo:quux" which
means we'll talk to host "foobar" and then its container "waldo" and
the container "quux" nested into that...