Does systemd-stdio-bridge handle dbus UNIX_FD passing somehow?
Umut Tezduyar Lindskog
2017-06-27 08:26:01 UTC
Hello,

I would like to make a method call on a remote machine with busctl
where the method returns UNIX_FD (h), type unix domain socket.

I am guessing the FD stops on stdio-bridge without any other magic
bridging the UDS to an another socket on the host. Is that the case?
Can there be any magic to accomplish this?

UMUT
Mantas Mikulėnas
2017-06-27 08:51:37 UTC
Afaik, the stdio bridge only supports a single dbus protocol stream and
nothing else.

Trying to pass file descriptors over the network might need magic in the
literal sense – just imagine emulating all the ioctls, socket operations,
etc. that a program may want to perform.

(I seem to remember a similar thread very recently on the dbus mailing
list?)
Sent from my phone
Lennart Poettering
2017-06-27 10:12:02 UTC
Post by Umut Tezduyar Lindskog
Hello,
I would like to make a method call on a remote machine with busctl
where the method returns UNIX_FD (h), type unix domain socket.
I am guessing the FD stops on stdio-bridge without any other magic
bridging the UDS to an another socket on the host. Is that the case?
Can there be any magic to accomplish this?
Nope, this is not available and cannot be made available. passing fds
is a local concept, and does not apply to remote transfers. If you try
you should get a clean error back that the transport does not support
this concept.