2017: systemd-readahead?
Che
2017-01-10 17:14:26 UTC
What's the 2017 status of systemd-readahead..? Permanently dead?

-- grok.
Lennart Poettering
2017-02-06 20:52:09 UTC
Post by Che
What's the 2017 status of systemd-readahead..? Permanently dead?
Well, we removed it from the systemd tree, and suggested other folks
to take it over. I am not aware that anyone did.

Kai Krakow
2017-02-06 21:46:56 UTC
Am Mon, 6 Feb 2017 21:52:09 +0100
Post by Lennart Poettering
Post by Che
What's the 2017 status of systemd-readahead..? Permanently dead?
Well, we removed it from the systemd tree, and suggested other folks
to take it over. I am not aware that anyone did.
Gentoo extracted a snapshot of the last git tree containing readahead.
The build then configures the tree to only build the readahead binary.
I think it needs to be patched from time to time to still build with
updated system dependencies but currently I didn't see a version bump
yet.

However, I finally ditched it. I figured it will slow down boot of an
aging system. Instead, I added bcache to my spinning rust plus an
affordable SSD. This works very well and reduces boot times much better
than readahead (by a factor of at least 5).

The ebuild contents should give you a clue how it's done:

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-apps/systemd-readahead
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.