Discussion:
2017: systemd-readahead?
(too old to reply)
Che
2017-01-10 17:14:26 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
What's the 2017 status of systemd-readahead..? Permanently dead?


-- grok.
Lennart Poettering
2017-02-06 20:52:09 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tue, 10.01.17 12:14, Che (***@gmail.com) wrote:

> What's the 2017 status of systemd-readahead..? Permanently dead?

Well, we removed it from the systemd tree, and suggested other folks
to take it over. I am not aware that anyone did.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering, Red Hat
Kai Krakow
2017-02-06 21:46:56 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Am Mon, 6 Feb 2017 21:52:09 +0100
schrieb Lennart Poettering <***@poettering.net>:

> On Tue, 10.01.17 12:14, Che (***@gmail.com) wrote:
>
> > What's the 2017 status of systemd-readahead..? Permanently dead?
>
> Well, we removed it from the systemd tree, and suggested other folks
> to take it over. I am not aware that anyone did.

Gentoo extracted a snapshot of the last git tree containing readahead.
The build then configures the tree to only build the readahead binary.
I think it needs to be patched from time to time to still build with
updated system dependencies but currently I didn't see a version bump
yet.

However, I finally ditched it. I figured it will slow down boot of an
aging system. Instead, I added bcache to my spinning rust plus an
affordable SSD. This works very well and reduces boot times much better
than readahead (by a factor of at least 5).

The ebuild contents should give you a clue how it's done:

https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-apps/systemd-readahead

--
Regards,
Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.
Che
2017-02-07 00:38:48 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
>
>
> However, I finally ditched it. I figured it will slow down boot of an
> aging system. Instead, I added bcache to my spinning rust plus an
> affordable SSD. This works very well and reduces boot times much better
> than readahead (by a factor of at least 5).


Perhaps such a feature is more useful as a diagnostic tool for
poorly-performing/broken systems.


-- grok.
Mantas Mikulėnas
2018-03-19 15:25:46 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 2:38 AM, Che <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>
>> However, I finally ditched it. I figured it will slow down boot of an
>> aging system. Instead, I added bcache to my spinning rust plus an
>> affordable SSD. This works very well and reduces boot times much better
>> than readahead (by a factor of at least 5).
>
>
> Perhaps such a feature is more useful as a diagnostic tool for
> poorly-performing/broken systems.
>

Then you'll want something like systemd-bootchart
<https://github.com/systemd/systemd-bootchart>, which performs similar
monitoring *and* graphs it.

--
Mantas Mikulėnas
Loading...