systemd-sysusers does not create nobody user
Sébastien Luttringer
2017-09-11 21:33:16 UTC
Hello,

It appears that the nobody user/group are not created by systemd-sysusers,
despite its definition in sysusers.d/basic.conf.
I guess nss_systemd is always providing answers for nobody user/group which
mislead systemd-sysusers.

# grep nobody /etc/passwd; echo $?
1
# getent passwd nobody
nobody:*:65534:65534:User Nobody:/:/sbin/nologin
# SYSTEMD_LOG_LEVEL=debug systemd-sysusers /usr/lib/sysusers.d/basic.conf
Group nobody already exists.
User nobody already exists.

I guess the issue is the same for root user.
For reference, this come from this bug report: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/
55589

A side effect, may segfault sshd. See: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55570

I tend to think that systemd-users should be able to start working with and
empty passwd/group.
What do you think is the correct way to fix these two?

Cheers,

Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
Lennart Poettering
2017-09-12 11:26:40 UTC
Post by Sébastien Luttringer
[...]
Ouch! This sounds like a systemd bug indeed. Could you please file a
bug on github about this?

Sébastien Luttringer
2017-09-12 22:15:58 UTC
[...]
Lennart