journalctl --unit and pattern
Cecil Westerhof
2017-12-18 17:01:21 UTC
At the moment I am using:
journalctl --boot --follow --no-tail --unit storeSystemStatistics
--unit vmstatLog

But instead of unit names you should be able to use a pattern. I tried the
following:
--unit "storeSystemStatistics|vmstatLog"

​And variants on it, but could not make it work.

How should I use a pattern. (I could not find info about it.)​

Cecil Westerhof
Tomasz Torcz 👁️
2017-12-18 19:31:41 UTC
On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 06:01:21PM +0100, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> At the moment I am using:
> journalctl --boot --follow --no-tail --unit storeSystemStatistics
> --unit vmstatLog
>
> But instead of unit names you should be able to use a pattern. I tried the
> following:
> --unit "storeSystemStatistics|vmstatLog"
>
> ​And variants on it, but could not make it work.
>
> How should I use a pattern. (I could not find info about it.)​

You can pass multiple --unit parameters:
journalctl --unit storeSystemStatistics --unit vmstatLog

--
Tomasz Torcz There exists no separation between gods and men:
xmpp: ***@chrome.pl one blends softly casual into the other.
Kai Krakow
2017-12-18 21:53:29 UTC
Am Mon, 18 Dec 2017 18:01:21 +0100 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:

> At the moment I am using:
> journalctl --boot --follow --no-tail --unit storeSystemStatistics
> --unit vmstatLog
>
> But instead of unit names you should be able to use a pattern. I tried the
> following:
> --unit "storeSystemStatistics|vmstatLog"
>
> ​And variants on it, but could not make it work.
>
> How should I use a pattern. (I could not find info about it.)​

You can exploit bash expansion for that:

$ journalctl --boot --follow --notail --unit={storeSystemStatistics,vmstatLog}

Note the equal sign...

The curly braces will the be expanded into two separate unit parameters
before being passed to the journalctl command.

Kai

Replies to list-only preferred.
Cecil Westerhof
2017-12-18 23:00:35 UTC

> Am Mon, 18 Dec 2017 18:01:21 +0100 schrieb Cecil Westerhof:
>
> > At the moment I am using:
> > journalctl --boot --follow --no-tail --unit storeSystemStatistics
> > --unit vmstatLog
> >
> > But instead of unit names you should be able to use a pattern. I tried
> the
> > following:
> > --unit "storeSystemStatistics|vmstatLog"
> >
> > ​And variants on it, but could not make it work.
> >
> > How should I use a pattern. (I could not find info about it.)​
>
> You can exploit bash expansion for that:
>
> $ journalctl --boot --follow --notail --unit={storeSystemStatistics,
> vmstatLog}
>
> Note the equal sign...
>
> The curly braces will the be expanded into two separate unit parameters
> before being passed to the journalctl command.

​Works like a charm. Thanks.

--
Cecil Westerhof