Discussion:
How to stop systemctl --user processes before backup runs then restart
(too old to reply)
Barry Scott
2017-12-31 17:41:23 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
I think that for my backups to run for a user I will need to stop their systemd user services.

How do you recommend that I do that and after the backup has completed how do I startup
the syetemd user services again, just as happened at system boot?

Barry
Colin Guthrie
2018-01-04 13:08:33 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
Barry Scott wrote on 31/12/17 17:41:
> I think that for my backups to run for a user I will need to stop their systemd user services.

Out of curiosity, why do you think that the process needs to be stopped
for the backups to run?

Col


--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie
http://colin.guthr.ie/

Day Job:
Tribalogic Limited http://www.tribalogic.net/
Open Source:
Mageia Contributor http://www.mageia.org/
PulseAudio Hacker http://www.pulseaudio.org/
Trac Hacker http://trac.edgewall.org/
Barry Scott
2018-01-04 19:35:05 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thursday, 4 January 2018 13:08:33 GMT Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Barry Scott wrote on 31/12/17 17:41:
> > I think that for my backups to run for a user I will need to stop their
> > systemd user services.
> Out of curiosity, why do you think that the process needs to be stopped
> for the backups to run?

The process of concern are running fetchmail that is calling into dovecot.

If I do not stop dovecot the Mail dir will not be consistent.
If I do not stop the fetchmail process then dovecot will be called
and the backup can see an inconsistent state.

How do I know this? Becuase I created bad backups in the past.

systemd --user is great at running the fetchmail processes for
the sand boxed email users. I just need to figure out how to stop them
in a way that is "systemd" smart.

Barry
Tomasz Torcz 👁️
2018-01-04 22:49:11 UTC
Permalink
Raw Message
On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 07:35:05PM +0000, Barry Scott wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 January 2018 13:08:33 GMT Colin Guthrie wrote:
> > Barry Scott wrote on 31/12/17 17:41:
> > > I think that for my backups to run for a user I will need to stop their
> > > systemd user services.
> > Out of curiosity, why do you think that the process needs to be stopped
> > for the backups to run?
>
> The process of concern are running fetchmail that is calling into dovecot.
>
> If I do not stop dovecot the Mail dir will not be consistent.
> If I do not stop the fetchmail process then dovecot will be called
> and the backup can see an inconsistent state.


In such cases you should use "fsreeze" around backups.

--
Tomasz Torcz "God, root, what's the difference?"
xmpp: ***@chrome.pl "God is more forgiving."
Loading...