Udev rules
Michael
2018-01-23 10:08:10 UTC
Hiwhy can't the Udev rules be automated or removed? As described here users only need to paste infos from lsusb etc.https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/72733-writing-and-debugging-udev-rules/&page=2But such a huge pain in the ass that no other os needs.It really holds off many potential new Linux users if they can't get their USB Joysticks working out of the box.Thanks for fixing and make Linux competitive to other os.I remember around a decade ago my joysticks simply worked out of the box before we got Udev.
Lennart Poettering
2018-01-23 10:17:40 UTC
Post by Michael
Hiwhy can't the Udev rules be automated or removed? As described
here users only need to paste infos from lsusb
etc.https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/72733-writing-and-debugging-udev-rules/&page=2But
such a huge pain in the ass that no other os needs.It really holds
off many potential new Linux users if they can't get their USB
Joysticks working out of the box.Thanks for fixing and make Linux
competitive to other os.I remember around a decade ago my joysticks
simply worked out of the box before we got Udev.
The default udev rules should set up access to the joystick devices
the right way automatically: the user on the console as well as all
users in the "input" group should get access to it automatically.

Writing such udev rules should not be necessary.

Anyway, this is not an upstream systemd issue. If you have trouble
with how your distribution handles joystick devices by default, please
ping your downstream distribution and not us upstream.

Thank you very much for understanding,

Dmitry Torokhov
2018-01-25 20:13:56 UTC
Post by Michael
Hi
why can't the Udev rules be automated or removed? As described here users
only need to paste infos from lsusb etc.
https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/72733-writing-and-debugging-udev-rules/&page=2
But such a huge pain in the ass that no other os needs.
Umm, no. The other OSes need similar things, as it is very hard (read:
impossible) to accurately classify devices based only on information
in their HID descriptors (and many hardware vendors put extra stuff in
the HID descriptors because they cut and paste bits of firmware code
from one project to another). You do not see these quirks because they
are hidden from you by vendor drivers, etc, etc. Here you simply have
visibility.
Post by Michael
It really holds off many potential new Linux users if they can't get their
USB Joysticks working out of the box.
Thanks for fixing and make Linux competitive to other os.
I remember around a decade ago my joysticks simply worked out of the box
before we got Udev.
Decade ago the world was much simpler.

Thanks.
--