bus benchmark
Add Reply
zhiting zhu
2018-03-28 03:24:34 UTC

I have a question about the bus benchmark. On the v238, the benchmark only
works with the input chart direct. If I put another input, the program gets
an assertion failure. Also, what chart, bisec, legacy, direct means?
There's no documentation come with the benchmark. I wonder what that output
means? What metric does it try to show? Is this a latency or throughput
benchmark?

Best,
Zhiting
Lennart Poettering
2018-03-28 10:41:00 UTC
Post by zhiting zhu
Hi,
I have a question about the bus benchmark. On the v238, the benchmark only
works with the input chart direct. If I put another input, the program gets
an assertion failure. Also, what chart, bisec, legacy, direct means?
There's no documentation come with the benchmark. I wonder what that output
means? What metric does it try to show? Is this a latency or throughput
benchmark?
That tool was written in order to determine when transport via memfd
would be faster than transport via AF_UNIX datagrams. i.e. the
datagram size at which point zero-copy transport (which implies
mmap()ing) becomes more efficient than copy-based transports.

If you so will it's a remnant of the kdbus experiments, and we should
probably remove it from the tree.