character limit by using "/run/systemd/journal/syslog"
Stanislav Kopp
2018-04-18 14:12:02 UTC
HI all,

I'm not sure if it's systemd/journald issue, but maybe you can help
me. We're logging apache error logs with "logger" so we can write them
to specific file using rsyslog, if I run "logger" without any options
- all are duplicated in journald and I can see them in "journalctl"
overview what is no needed, I can tell "logger" to write to
"/run/systemd/journal/syslog" directly and then I don't see them in
journalctl but the logs are trimmed (about 437 characters what is
strange number). So I don't understand if it's a "logger" bug or
somehow related to journald or even rsyslog.

Full option from apache config.

ErrorLog "| /usr/bin/logger -p local1.info --socket
/run/systemd/journal/syslog"

Best,
Stan
Lennart Poettering
2018-04-18 14:31:10 UTC
Post by Stanislav Kopp
HI all,
I'm not sure if it's systemd/journald issue, but maybe you can help
me. We're logging apache error logs with "logger" so we can write them
to specific file using rsyslog, if I run "logger" without any options
- all are duplicated in journald and I can see them in "journalctl"
overview what is no needed, I can tell "logger" to write to
"/run/systemd/journal/syslog" directly and then I don't see them in
journalctl but the logs are trimmed (about 437 characters what is
strange number). So I don't understand if it's a "logger" bug or
somehow related to journald or even rsyslog.
This way you bypass systemd-journald entirely, and any such line
breaks are between logger and rsyslog. This also means we can't really
help you with this. Please ping the util-linux and rsyslog folks about
this. Thanks.