Default reply to the mailing-list instead of sender
Cecil Westerhof
2017-12-19 09:30:21 UTC
With most mailing-lists when replying with GMail a reply is default send to
the mailing-list, but with this mailing-list it is default send to the
sender. Would it be possible to change this?

Cecil Westerhof
Lennart Poettering
2017-12-19 11:41:49 UTC
On Di, 19.12.17 10:30, Cecil Westerhof (***@gmail.com) wrote:

> With most mailing-lists when replying with GMail a reply is default send to
> the mailing-list, but with this mailing-list it is default send to the
> sender. Would it be possible to change this?

Well, there's this:

I am not sure which side to take on this, I figure we currently just
use whatever is the default on fdo mailing lists...

2017-12-19 12:50:22 UTC
Am 19.12.2017 um 12:41 schrieb Lennart Poettering:
> On Di, 19.12.17 10:30, Cecil Westerhof (***@gmail.com) wrote:
>
>> With most mailing-lists when replying with GMail a reply is default send to
>> the mailing-list, but with this mailing-list it is default send to the
>> sender. Would it be possible to change this?
>
> Well, there's this:

> I am not sure which side to take on this, I figure we currently just
> use whatever is the default on fdo mailing lists...

it's all fine with the list

gmail as well Lennarts mail client seem to be crap otherwise you
wouldn't use reply-all or reply to the sender because there is a header
On Tue, 19 Dec 2017, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
> With most mailing-lists when replying with GMail a reply is default send to
> the mailing-list, but with this mailing-list it is default send to the
> sender. Would it be possible to change this?

Just use the "Reply all" functionality of your email client. I would be
surprised if Gmail couldn't do this.

Recipients can elect to deduplicate the mail either on their local mail
system or on the list server itself (by setting the "Avoid duplicate
copies of messages?" option in their list preferences).

Mailman-based lists default to keeping the sender's From and Reply-to
headers intact. Some of the reasons are described at:

It's not mentioned there, but one thing I find nice about lists
implementing this policy is that in many cases it allows me to post to the
list, and get replies, without needing to be subscribed. This is handy for
those times when you only have a one-off question.
Lennart Poettering
2017-12-19 12:00:33 UTC
On Di, 19.12.17 22:43, Michael Chapman (***@very.puzzling.org) wrote:

> It's not mentioned there, but one thing I find nice about lists implementing
> this policy is that in many cases it allows me to post to the list, and get
> replies, without needing to be subscribed. This is handy for those times
> when you only have a one-off question.

Well, to reduce spam a bit we do not allow non-members to post to this ML.

2017-12-19 12:52:57 UTC
Am 19.12.2017 um 12:43 schrieb Michael Chapman:
> On Tue, 19 Dec 2017, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>> With most mailing-lists when replying with GMail a reply is default
>> send to
>> the mailing-list, but with this mailing-list it is default send to the
>> sender. Would it be possible to change this?
>
> Just use the "Reply all" functionality of your email client. I would be
> surprised if Gmail couldn't do this.
>
> Recipients can elect to deduplicate the mail either on their local mail
> system or on the list server itself (by setting the "Avoid duplicate
> copies of messages?" option in their list preferences)

NO DAMNED
remove the personal copy target after press reply all

to fflist-copy typically is faster and then the later arriving is the
killed duplicate - congratultions, the offlist copy has no list headers,
no reply-list support in the client because of that and threading get
completly messed up

but hey, why should anybody use a 25 years old technology like email
proper when we have facebook and whatsapp....