Unknown lvalue 'StartLimitIntervalSec' ?
Neil MacLeod
2017-07-11 00:55:21 UTC
I see that with the following commit, 'StartLimitInterval' is aliased to
'StartLimitIntervalSec':

https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/f0367da7d1a61ad698a55d17b5c28ddce0dc265a#diff-b3e16bf39e5d7ab233077b9b1dafb095

This change should be in systemd-230.

However, using 'StartLimitIntervalSec` in systemd-233 doesn't appear to be
working and the property is being logged as an "Unknown lvalue".

I've built systemd-233 from source, and confirmed the source includes the
above alias change, but I cannot set a 'StartLimitIntervalSec' property.
The old 'StartLimitInterval' value does work.

All the documentation suggests 'StartLimitIntervalSec' should now be
working/accepted.

What am I missing here?

Many thanks
Neil

This is the version, 233:
```
rpi22:~ # systemctl --version
systemd 233
-PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -APPARMOR -SMACK -SYSVINIT -UTMP -LIBCRYPTSETUP
-GCRYPT -GNUTLS -ACL -XZ -LZ4 -SECCOMP +BLKID -ELFUTILS +KMOD -IDN
default-hierarchy=hybrid
```

And I've got a service where 'StartLimitInterval' has been renamed to
'StartLimitIntervalSec':
```
rpi22:~ # cat /usr/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service
[Unit]
Description=Samba SMB Daemon
After=network.target samba-config.service
ConditionPathExists=!/storage/.cache/services/samba.disabled
ConditionPathExists=/run/samba/smb.conf
Requires=samba-config.service

[Service]
Type=forking
PIDFile=/run/samba/smbd.pid
LimitNOFILE=16384
ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/samba/smbd-config
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/smbd
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
TimeoutStopSec=1s
Restart=always
RestartSec=2
StartLimitIntervalSec=0

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
```

However 'StartLimitIntervalSec' isn't accepted as valid, whereas the "old"
'StartLimitInterval' continues to work as it should - this is the error
with 'StartLimitIntervalSec':
```
rpi22:~ # journalctl -a|grep StartLimitIntervalSec
Jul 11 01:29:17 rpi22 systemd[1]: /usr/lib/systemd/system/smbd.service:18:
Unknown lvalue 'StartLimitIntervalSec' in section 'Service'
```
Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek
2017-07-11 01:26:19 UTC
Post by Neil MacLeod
I see that with the following commit, 'StartLimitInterval' is aliased to
https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/f0367da7d1a61ad698a55d17b5c28ddce0dc265a#diff-b3e16bf39e5d7ab233077b9b1dafb095
This change should be in systemd-230.
However, using 'StartLimitIntervalSec` in systemd-233 doesn't appear to be
working and the property is being logged as an "Unknown lvalue".
I've built systemd-233 from source, and confirmed the source includes the
above alias change, but I cannot set a 'StartLimitIntervalSec' property.
The old 'StartLimitInterval' value does work.
All the documentation suggests 'StartLimitIntervalSec' should now be
working/accepted.
StartLimitInterval was moved from [Service] to [Unit] section in
6bf0f408e4833152197fb38fb10a9989c89f3a59, but the old location was
still accepted for compatibility. The new StartLimitIntervalSec name
is valid only in [Unit].

Zbyszek
Neil MacLeod