date ranges with systemd-journal-gatewayd
Jameson Graef Rollins
2018-01-11 00:46:08 UTC
Hello. Is it possible to specify date ranges with
systemd-journal-gatewayd (i.e. equivalent of --since= and --until= in
journalctl)? I see there is a "Range:" header option that allows
restricting entries by "cursor", but I can't figure out how to translate
dates into that interface.

What about the possibility of adding something like a
"date=<since>:<until>" option to the Range: header that would allow
restricting entries by date?

Thanks so much.

jamie.
Jameson Graef Rollins
2018-01-11 03:03:06 UTC
Hello, I'm having another systemd-journal-gatewayd issue...

I'm finding that journal-gatewayd is not returning all logs that are
actually available in the journal to users with appropriate privileges.

In particular, I have a service whose managed ExecStart program is
writing to stdout and stderr, all of which are captured by journald.
Using journalctl I can see all the process output in the logs. However,
none of this output is available via journal-gatewayd.

Why are these logs being filtered by journal-gatewayd? How can I force
it to not filter any logs from the journal?

Thanks for the help.

jamie.
Lennart Poettering
2018-01-24 10:54:04 UTC
Post by Jameson Graef Rollins
Hello, I'm having another systemd-journal-gatewayd issue...
I'm finding that journal-gatewayd is not returning all logs that are
actually available in the journal to users with appropriate privileges.
In particular, I have a service whose managed ExecStart program is
writing to stdout and stderr, all of which are captured by journald.
Using journalctl I can see all the process output in the logs. However,
none of this output is available via journal-gatewayd.
Why are these logs being filtered by journal-gatewayd? How can I force
it to not filter any logs from the journal?
Hmm, this might be an access control issue? systemd-journal-gatewayd.service
runs in the "systemd-journal" group, which should normally have access
to all journal files, by means of appropriate ACL entries. Consider
checking whether the ACLs are all set up properly, so that that group
gets proper access.

2018-01-24 10:51:11 UTC
Post by Jameson Graef Rollins
Hello. Is it possible to specify date ranges with
systemd-journal-gatewayd (i.e. equivalent of --since= and --until= in
journalctl)? I see there is a "Range:" header option that allows
restricting entries by "cursor", but I can't figure out how to translate
dates into that interface.
Cursors won't help you to filter by date.

Filtering by date is not available currently in
systemd-journal-gatewayd. But adding this does make sense. Please file
a github RFE issue about this. Or even better, post a github PR that
adds this!

Jameson Graef Rollins
2018-01-24 16:36:59 UTC
Post by Jameson Graef Rollins
Hello. Is it possible to specify date ranges with
systemd-journal-gatewayd (i.e. equivalent of --since= and --until= in
journalctl)? I see there is a "Range:" header option that allows
restricting entries by "cursor", but I can't figure out how to translate
dates into that interface.
Cursors won't help you to filter by date.
Filtering by date is not available currently in
systemd-journal-gatewayd. But adding this does make sense. Please file
a github RFE issue about this. Or even better, post a github PR that
adds this!
Thanks for the response, Lennart. I actually see now that an RFE has
already been submitted:

I'll look into making a patch.

jamie.