systemctl --user roadmap question
Jeff Solomon
2017-11-17 17:20:05 UTC

RHEL removed support for systemd "user services" because they said:

"Basically we don't know if systemd --user will stay in systemd as is right
now.
So we have decided to disable it completely so we will not hit regression
in future versions of centos."

That statement was made 18 months ago.

Any update from the systemd side? Is "systemctl --user" going to stay the
way it is? Dramatically change? Or even be removed? Just wondering if there
has been any decisions made on the roadmap for "systemctl --user".

I personally find it VERY convenient to allow regular users to run their
services using the power of systemd.

Jeff
Lennart Poettering
2017-11-17 17:29:07 UTC
Post by Jeff Solomon
Hi,
"Basically we don't know if systemd --user will stay in systemd as is right
now.
So we have decided to disable it completely so we will not hit regression
in future versions of centos."
That statement was made 18 months ago.
Any update from the systemd side? Is "systemctl --user" going to stay the
way it is? Dramatically change? Or even be removed? Just wondering if there
has been any decisions made on the roadmap for "systemctl --user".
I personally find it VERY convenient to allow regular users to run their
services using the power of systemd.
Yes, it hasn't changed in any incompatible way since quite some time,
and I figure the comment should be ignored.

Lukas Nykryn
2017-11-20 15:43:29 UTC
That comment explains why --user was removed when centos7 was released.
Although now we know that it will remain as it is in upstream, we don't
plan to revert the removal in el7, since we are afraid of potential
regressions that it might cause. I personally saw couple of logs where
users had some automation that was creating tens of new ssh sessions every
minute and if we would start systemd instance for every single one of them
it would have negative effect on performance, which is not something we can
do in late minor releases.

Lukas
Post by Lennart Poettering
Hi,