What is the recommended way to setup the compose key ?
Francis Moreau
2017-11-28 08:35:51 UTC
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how I can configure a compose key for the consoles.

I looked at man localectl and vconsole.conf but haven't found an answer.

Could anybody give me some hints ?

Thanks.
Francis
Mantas Mikulėnas
2017-11-28 08:46:43 UTC
Post by Francis Moreau
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out how I can configure a compose key for the consoles.
I looked at man localectl and vconsole.conf but haven't found an answer.
You'd need to edit the actual keyboard layout in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps.
See i386/include/compose.inc and i386/qwerty/{cz,lv}.map.gz for examples.
Francis Moreau
2017-11-28 08:54:34 UTC
Post by Francis Moreau
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out how I can configure a compose key for the consoles.
I looked at man localectl and vconsole.conf but haven't found an answer.
You'd need to edit the actual keyboard layout in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps. See
i386/include/compose.inc and i386/qwerty/{cz,lv}.map.gz for examples.
Do you mean I need to edit my preferred map in /usr/share to include
compose.inc ?

If so I don't think I'm supposed to change any files in /usr/share/kbd...

Wouldn't it be simpler to add the compose key in vconsole.conf so it's
loaded automatically ?
Francis
Mantas Mikulėnas
2017-11-28 08:57:15 UTC
Post by Francis Moreau
Post by Mantas Mikulėnas
i386/include/compose.inc and i386/qwerty/{cz,lv}.map.gz for examples.
Do you mean I need to edit my preferred map in /usr/share to include
compose.inc ?
You will need more than that – grep the other examples for 'compose'.
Post by Francis Moreau
If so I don't think I'm supposed to change any files in /usr/share/kbd...
Probably not, but that's the only location keymaps are loaded from (whether
you use systemd or regular loadkeys).
Post by Francis Moreau
Wouldn't it be simpler to add the compose key in vconsole.conf so it's
loaded automatically ?
And where would it get the actual compose definitions from? They have to be
defined in the keymap itself.
Francis Moreau
2017-11-28 09:22:43 UTC
Post by Mantas Mikulėnas
And where would it get the actual compose definitions from? They have to be
defined in the keymap itself.
on my distro (opensuse Tumbleweed) compose tables and the definition
of the compose key can be found here:

$ ls /usr/share/kbd/keymaps/legacy/include/
compose.8859_7 compose.latin compose.latin1.cedilla
compose.latin4 compose.winkeys
compose.8859_8 compose.latin1 compose.latin2
compose.shiftctrl disable.capslock
compose.ctrlperiod compose.latin1.add compose.latin3
compose.utf8 vim-compose.latin1

So one can configure the compose key by running "loadkeys
compose.shiftctrl" for example and the same can be done to pick up a
compose table.

It doesn't seem a bad idea to extend /etc/vconsole.conf so it's done
automatically at boot.
--
Francis